While Oreo cookies are made with cocoa butter, milk powder, sugar, corn syrup, and artificial flavors and colors, some pet owners and dog experts disagree on whether or not it’s safe for dogs to eat them.
Can dogs eat oreos? What about fish, chicken and other pet foods? Is it safe to feed your dog food you wouldn’t feed yourself? While you might have a gut feeling that says “yes,” you probably don’t know how to test this and be confident in the answer. So let’s dig deeper into the science behind pet nutrition to determine if your pet can or cannot eat certain foods.
In the past decade, we have seen the Oreo cookie become a popular treat not just for humans, but also for dogs.
My Dog Just Ate an Oreo Cookie! What Should I Do?
Is it possible that your dog ate Oreo cookies from your cupboard or table? Dogs are frequently caught eating things they shouldn’t, and one of the most usually reported stolen items is food meant for human consumption. Some pet owners may accidentally endanger their animals by giving them human food. One of those things is Oreo cookies. While they may not be as harmful as grapes or onions, they can nonetheless represent a direct threat to your dog’s health.
Many owners may be perplexed as to why their pets are drawn to eat items they shouldn’t. Dogs have a keen sense of smell and can frequently detect a good reward from a long distance. Others may come into contact with human food by chewing on packaging or containers. Oreos smell delicious, and due to their high sugar content, dogs are likely to be drawn to them.
It’s critical to store any food that isn’t meant for your dog in a secure area. To safeguard scavenging dogs, make sure fridges and garbage cans are secure and tamper-proof. What should you do if your dog accidentally gets into the Oreo container? Continue reading to find out.
Can Dogs Eat Oreo Cookies?
Oreos should not be fed to dogs on intentionally. They’re made up of two chocolate cookies sandwiched together and kept together by a creamy white middle. They’re frequently marketed as biscuits, but they also appear in cakes, ice creams, and confectionery. McDonald’s even makes an Oreo McFlurry! Dogs should not be given Oreos in any manner.
Because chocolate is harmful to dogs, Oreos should not be given to them, even if they only contain a little quantity. They’re also high in sugar and fat, with little nutritional benefit. If you feed your dog Oreos, he or she may become unwell, and he or she will be more prone to obesity and diabetes.
Theobromine and caffeine, two harmful chemicals found in chocolate, are present. The amount of cookies ingested will determine how harmful these cookies are to dogs. This is proportional to the amount of chocolate consumed as well as the size of your dog. A little dog who has had a big number of Oreos (and hence chocolate) may achieve a hazardous dosage much faster than a large dog.
Are Oreos Bad For Dogs?
If consumed in moderation, Oreos are unlikely to cause harm. Yes, they are harmful to dogs in excessive numbers. Do not give them to your dog to eat as a snack. To keep things interesting, feed your dog healthful snacks like papaya or other fruits and vegetables. Continue reading to learn why you shouldn’t feed Oreos to your dog and the consequences of doing so. We’ve also included suggestions for what to do if you discover your dog has consumed some Oreos.
My Dog Ate Oreos: What Can Happen?
The majority of the time, there are no negative consequences. If your pet consumes only one Oreo, he or she will most likely be just fine. Because a single Oreo contains such a small amount of chocolate, they are unlikely to develop symptoms of chocolate poisoning.
Chocolate poisoning can occur if significant amounts are consumed. Chocolate poisoning can develop if your dog consumes a big number of Oreos, especially if they are a little breed. The following are the signs and symptoms of chocolate toxicity:
Seizures with a fast heart rate.
Can Dogs Safely Eat Oreos
Yes, a dog can eat one Oreo at a time without harm. These cookies, on the other hand, contain dangerous components that should be kept away from dogs.
The contents in Oreos and how they affect dogs are as follows:
Palm Oil – Can induce diarrhea and dehydration in dogs due to its laxative impact.
Obesity, diabetes, and heart disease are all linked to refined sugar consumption.
High-Fructose Corn Syrup – Increased Obesity and Diabetes Risk
Seizures and Trembling from Baking Chocolate
There are several Oreos that do not contain chocolate. More information regarding those types, as well as their safety, may be found here.
Can Dogs Eat Golden Oreos
Vanilla Oreos and white Oreos are other names for golden Oreos. Dogs should not eat these, regardless of what you name them.
They are one of the safest sorts for dogs to consume because they do not include chocolate. You should, however, keep them away from your dog.
Palm oil, sugar, and high fructose corn syrup are still used in their production.
Can Dogs Eat Lemon Oreos
Lemon Oreos, despite their name, do not contain any actual lemon. Dogs should not consume these since they contain so much palm oil, sugar, and high fructose corn syrup.
Can Dogs Eat Peanut Butter Oreos
Peanut butter is healthy for dogs to eat in moderation as a standalone meal. The Oreos are not a nice treat for your dog, even if the peanut butter is acceptable for them to ingest. They’re higher in sugar and fat than peanut butter.
Can Dogs Eat Strawberry Oreos
In 2013, Oreos with Strawberries ‘N Cream were a limited-edition taste. Keep them away from your dog if they ever return. They don’t have any chocolate in them, but they’re loaded with sugar and oils.
Can Dogs Eat Pumpkin Oreos
Pumpkin Spice Oreos arrive in supermarket shelves every fall. Allowing your dog to eat them is not a good idea, even if you enjoy having them in your cupboard.
They include a lot of palm oil, high fructose corn syrup, and even paprika as a coloring agent. Dogs are known to be irritated by paprika.
Can Dogs Eat the Cream in Oreos
You know dogs can’t eat chocolate cookies, but can they eat cream? No, you should not feed the cream to your dog.
Oreo cream has a lot of sugar and palm oil, which might cause your dog’s body to react negatively.
I’m not sure if my kids have tried this. I’ve been told that they do. I don’t think it’s ever occurred to me to try it myself. They say that you can’t get a dog to eat an Oreo (or any other cookie) unless you first lick the Oreo. My parents always told me that you could never get a dog to eat an Oreo because the Oreo has too many nuts in it. I’m not sure which is right. I’m not sure what I would do if I tried to give a dog a cookie, but it might be fun to see if it works.