Can Dogs Have Reese’s Pieces? It’s Dangerous

Some of the most popular dog treats are made with gluten. But there’s a reason that they’re so popular—they’re delicious!

Why is it that the little Reese’s Pieces treats always taste so much better to dogs than we humans can? We’ll tell you why, and it’s all about the flavor!

If you want to know whether your dog can eat the most famous chocolate candy, try the experiment outlined below. The first thing to know is that this candy doesn’t melt. It’s basically a hard rock.

What are Reese’s Pieces?

Reese’s Pieces is a popular American confectionery that was first released to the market in September 1978. Reese’s Pieces were not released to the Canadian market until later in 1980.

If you’re a fan of the 1982 film E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, you’ll recall that this candy was featured in the film. Following the debut of this film, Reese’s Pieces became quite popular.

Reese’s Pieces are a variation of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. Both of these sweets include peanut butter as their primary component. Reese’s Pieces are distinguished by the absence of chocolate.

Instead, this peanut butter candy is in the shape of a flat circular disc coated in various colored candy shells. It’s roughly the size of a pumpkin seed, and it comes in three different colors: orange, yellow, and brown.

What are the components in Reese’s Pieces, though? Let’s get started.

Danger of fat in Reese’s Pieces

Although dogs require a certain amount of fat in their diet as macronutrients to aid in brain function and the maintenance of healthy skin, coat, and eyes, excessive fat consumption can result in an increase in fatty tissue.

In fact, the National Academy of Sciences recommends that a 33-pound dog ingest only 14 grams of fat each day.

The dog will acquire weight as a result of this. What’s more, the fatty tissue puts strain on your dog’s joints and bones, as well as internal organs, affecting their body and organ functions.

Having a high-fat percentage in their body can lead to heart disease, obesity, and diabetes over time, similar to the hazards of sugar. In reality, if your dog consumes a huge amount of high-fat food in a short period of time, he may get acute pancreatitis.

Acute pancreatitis is dangerous because it causes the pancreas to become inflamed and eventually break down inside as a result of rapid fat consumption.

The following are some of the signs and symptoms of pancreatitis:

Lethargy.

Pain in the abdomen.

Vomiting.

In agony, hunched over or bent over.

Fever.

If you see any of these signs, take your dog to the doctor straight away so that it may be treated before it becomes a life-threatening scenario and the pancreas deteriorates further. Early identification allows your dog to recover from pancreatitis by addressing the disease sooner.

If your dog’s condition is life-threatening, your veterinarian will likely prescribe IV fluids, anti-inflammatory drugs, and pain relievers to help preserve his or her life.

Can Dogs Eat Reese’s Pieces?

Let’s take a look at the primary ingredients in this sweet to find out.

Sugar

Peanuts

Corn syrup is a sweetener made from corn

Oil made from vegetables

A range of additional components, including as milk, vanilla, carnauba wax, and cornstarch, are also included in little amounts.

Any of these components might cause allergies in dogs. Furthermore, sugar is extremely harmful to dogs, and these candies include 80 percent sugar and fat. As a result, we don’t recommend giving your dog any Reese’s pieces.

Are Reese’s Pieces Poisonous To Dogs?

Are Reese’s pieces unhealthy? If the dose is moderate, it is not dangerous or toxic to dogs. When given to dogs in high amounts, it can cause major gastrointestinal problems. Some foods, such as chocolate and fats, are toxic to dogs if consumed in large quantities. Reese’s bits in dark chocolate are beneficial for dogs.

How To Prevent Dogs From Eating Reese’s Pieces Again?

One of the most effective ways to keep your dog away from anything is to keep it in an area where dogs are not allowed. It would be beneficial if you did not allow them to eat while you were away. You may achieve this by using a crate or a separate room for your dog. You can keep your dog away from Reese’s bits in these methods.

What Health Symptoms Will Occur If Dog Eats Reese’s Pieces?

When your dog consumes too many Reese’s pieces, he will develop major health concerns. We need to figure out what is causing dogs’ health to decline. Bloating, stomach discomfort, constipation, diarrhea, and vomiting are all common symptoms in dogs.

If their symptoms are ignored, they may develop deadly conditions such as pancreatitis, heart problems, obesity, diabetes, and so on.

Danger Of Sugar

It has a large level of sugar, which is not good for dogs. It includes nearly half of all sugars and, if consumed on a regular basis, leads to diabetes. It may cause stomach problems. When there is too much sugar in something, it affects how the digestive system works.

Gain Weight

Fat deposition in the body is caused by a high fat content. Obesity occurs when the body’s fat levels are too high. Obesity can lead to knee and joint issues. Metabolic problems can also be caused by being overweight. Only feed them a little number of Reese’s pieces at a time.

Tooth Decay

Sugar is required for oral germs to adhere to teeth. When food has a lot of sugar, teeth become damaged, and germs begin to devour the teeth. As a result, dogs’ teeth develop cavities.

What can I do if my dog ate too many Reese’s Pieces?

To begin, if your dog ate too many Reese’s Pieces, you should not force him to puke. This can really be harmful to your dog. If you believe or know your dog has eaten numerous packets or servings of Reese’s Pieces, contact your veterinarian as soon as possible.

Your puppy’s veterinarian will advise you on the best course of action. If they advocate throwing up, they may advise you to use 3 percent hydrogen peroxide at a rate of 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds of body weight to help your dog vomit up.

Put away all of the Reese’s Pieces and make sure your pet drinks plenty of water and doesn’t eat anything else for the remainder of the day. If your dog is experiencing diarrhea or vomiting, let him to fast.

Conclusion

Yes, technically—in the sense that modest amounts won’t kill your dog.

However, because to the high sugar and fat content, it is suggested that you do not feed any Reese’s Pieces to your dog. It’s simple for a full bag to be devoured in one sitting, especially if you don’t keep a watch on your dog at all times, and the results aren’t pleasant.

(And, after all, keeping your dog alive shouldn’t be the objective, right…?)

Eating Reese’s Pieces, which contain over 80% fat and sugar per piece, can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and severe pancreatitis in the short term.

They can also exacerbate problems like dental decay and raise the risk of significant long-term illnesses including diabetes, obesity, and heart disease.

If you’re thinking about feeding your dog Reese’s Pieces as a treat, please be cautious and reconsider!

Princy Hoang

Leave a Comment